The virus that causes COVID-19 spreads from person to person, mainly through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Spread is more likely when people are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
As COVID-19 spreads in many communities throughout the U.S., everyone – including the Veteran population – needs to know how to protect themselves.
Provide the Veterans in your community with the most up-to-date information on how to prevent the spread of illness and where they can get the medical support they deserve during this pandemic. Below is a sample of some of the COVID-19 content we offer in support of Veterans’ health.
Veterans & COVID-19 Prevention
Preventing exposure to COVID-19 is the only way to stay protected. In addition to avoiding close contact with people who are sick, the following tips can help Veterans stay safe during this pandemic:
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. (Use hand sanitizer with 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.)
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others.
- Always keep about 6 feet between yourself and others. A cloth face cover is not a substitute for social distancing.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
If a Veteran is experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 (e.g., fever, dry cough, sore throat, chills, new loss of taste or smell), they should seek medical care right away at their nearest VA medical facility. (Always advise a Veteran to call ahead to inform the facility about their symptoms or send their doctor a secure message through My HealtheVet.)
Learn to use VA Video Connect (available through the VA mobile app store or by contacting your VA care team), before any urgent problems arise. VA Video Connect allows Veterans and their caregivers to quickly and easily meet with VA health care providers through live video on any computer, tablet or mobile device with an internet connection.
Contact Us Today!