Every year, we make New Year’s resolutions in the attempt to improve ourselves. One common resolution is to develop a healthier lifestyle. Take the beginning of a new year as an opportunity to focus on your health; you deserve it! It may seem daunting, but it doesn’t have to be. Use the following simple fitness tips this year to hit all your health goals.
1. Sneak physical activity into your daily routine.
For some people, fitting in 30 minutes of exercise each day seems impossible. However, everyone – even those with the busiest schedules – can find a little bit of time for physical activity. The following are some examples:
- Choose walking over taking the bus.
- Skip the elevator and take the stairs.
- Take a walk on your lunch break. (You can even ask a coworker to come along!) For more ways to sneak exercise into your work day, see this QuickSeries® blog post.
- Park your car a little further away from your destination so you can take a short walk.
- Fit in short exercises (such as lunges, jumping jacks or sit-ups) during commercial breaks when watching TV.
- Start your morning with a quick stretch to get ready for the day ahead.
To find detailed information about physical activity requirements, refer to the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans.
2. Turn exercise into a bonding experience.
One of the biggest hurdles to a successful fitness plan is a lack of motivation. If exercise seems like a drag, then you will be less likely to make time for it every day. There are many ways you can turn physical activity into an enjoyable, social experience. The following are some examples:
- Join a sports team in your community or at work. Having fun with your peers will make the physical exertion much more bearable and much more fun.
- Take a weekly workout class with a friend. You can chat over a cup of coffee when the class is over.
- If you have kids, grab a frisbee or football and play in the park. You can make lasting memories while you work up a sweat.
- Create a fitness plan with a with a friend or family member. Having a fitness partner to encourage and help you can increase your motivation.
- Instead of going out to eat dessert or fast food to catch up with loved ones, go for a walk together. You will be making a better choice for your health – and your wallet!
3. Take things slow.
Instead of setting overly ambitious fitness goals at the beginning of a new year, choose attainable goals that you can easily achieve and that will in turn boost your self-confidence. Setting big goals might seem more effective for developing a healthy lifestyle, but it actually may backfire and leave you feeling overwhelmed. Once you hit a goal, you can set a new one that is slightly more challenging. This way, you will be more likely to stick with your fitness plan.
To build a fitness plan that works for you and your specific fitness goals, refer to the QuickSeries® guides Basic Weight Training, Aerobic Training and Wellness and Fitness: A Pocket Guide for Success.
For more information on health and fitness, browse the QuickSeries® library of Health and Wellness products.